Monday, August 30, 2010

Coconut Pandan Sago Pudding

After hitting up Lotte Plaza to replenish my noodle supply and finding sago and pandan extract, I decided to make something out of it.  Since I have zero idea on where to find palm sugar for a reasonable price, I tried to do something similar to gula meleka (sago pearls with a palm sugar sauce and coconut milk).

Sago is fairly similar to tapioca.  It's often seen in pearl form, like tapioca.   I imagine you could easily do this with tapioca pearls.  The store I go to carries it in several flavours and I chose "Fresh", which I imagine is actually "Plain". 

Pandan, or screwpine, is often used in Southeast Asian cooking.  It is known for it's green colour (Though most juices/extracts have added dyes.  Check your ingredients if you're sensitive to them!) and it's unique taste.  It tastes slightly floral, not overpowering like rose extracts, with vague pine and citrus overtones.  I know, it sounds horrific, but it really is a lovely taste.  My first experience with it was with Ca Rem #1 ice cream in Seattle.  This was also my first experience with durian, but I'd rather not relive that one.

Cooked sago:

Excuse my much loved cheesecloth.  My Ikea colander has fairly large holes and I really didn't want to risk it.

Now to use the pandan and coconut.

Erm... I don't remember pandan being quite that colour or that smell, but okay.


Hm... a little watery, so I added some cornstarch mixed with pandan juice.


The finished product:

It may not look all that appetizing, but it is unbelievably good, if I do say so myself.  I am very pleased with the outcome.  This was my first attempt at cooking with sago or pandan.  I see a lot of experimenting in my future.

Coconut Pandan Sago
4 servings

250g (8.8oz package) sago pearls
1/3 cup of coconut milk (do not buy light coconut milk, all they do is add water)
3-4 tablespoons pandan extract (I think my "extract" was closer to juice.  I'd use significantly less paste and mix it with water to make the juice.)
3-4 tablespoons of sugar (depending on how sweet you like things)

In a good sized pot, bring water to a boil and slowly drop the sago pearls in, stirring to make sure they don't clump up.  Boil for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Rinse the sago in cool water and drain.

Over low heal,  add the coconut milk, pandan juice and sugar into the large pot (hey, less dishes to wash, right?).  Add the sago back in and stir.

Pour sago into bowls and let cool.  Like tapioca, it's good both warm and cold, though while cold, it seems to hold it's shape incredibly well and can be put into molds.

If it looks thin, that's okay. It'll set when it's chilled and it's good soupy too. I added cornstarch to mine and that was a horrible mistake.

This is not the most healthy dessert, but it tastes like heaven on a hot summer day.  It's very rich, so smaller portions are generally better.

No comments:

Post a Comment