No, really. I cannot make cookies to save my life. I've made dozens of types, different doughs, different proportions, different everything.
The last ridiculously bad set of cookies was chocolate-raspberry-pecan rugelach. Rugelach dough is a pain. It's sticky and oily. There was so much oil in the dough that I'm surprised I didn't have a heart attack just handling it. But all was well. I managed to get it to behave long enough to get the filling in and get it onto the silicone mat.
And then it went wrong.
I noticed it smelled kind of funny. Not bad funny, just a little off. When I peeked, I noticed the filling had kind of ran.
Okay, not "kind of". All over. The chocolate had melted everywhere, making pools all over the the silicone mat (I've never been so thankful for that stupid mat!).
The dough however? Flawless. Absolutely flawless. Best dough I've never made. Perfect texture, taste, crispy and soft at the same time... mmm. Next time, I'll leave the chocolate out. Or maybe just the entire filling.
This is one in the long line of cookie failures.
Imagine my surprise when I made these lovely Brown Butter Buttons and they turned out well. Of course, there had to be a mishap.
While browning butter for the first time, I got to relearn the fact that just because oil is still does not mean it is not, in fact, hot. What happens with oil when you add something with a high alcohol content to it like, oh, almond extract? I just about jumped out of my skin.
The picture is horrible, but that's what happens in a dark room with a crappy phone camera. This picture does not do these cookies justice. They are amazing. They are crunchy and sandy (in a good way!) and melty in a good way. So fantastic.
No comments:
Post a Comment