Monday, August 30, 2010

Stuffed Poblano Peppers

At the Korean grocery store, I found small poblano peppers for extremely cheap.  I paid around $1 for six of them.  I've wanted to make stuffed peppers for ages, but really couldn't justify paying $3 for two peppers at the grocery store.

I also had four ears of corn that needed to be cooked as soon as possible.  Hmm...

Stuffed Poblano Pepers
Makes at least two servings

6 medium poblano peppers (I used smaller peppers and have about 3 cups of mixture leftover, so more, larger peppers would probably be the way to go)
1 cup cooked corn (fresh is best)
1 cup cooked rice (I used brown basmati)
1/4 cup shredded cheese (the generic Mexican blend works)
1 cup fresh pico de gallo 
2-3 tablespoons sour cream

Preheat your oven to 350.

Cook your rice until it's just slightly undercooked and set aside to cool.

Cut off the top of the peppers carefully, remove seeds and membranes and set aside, saving the tops.  Be smarter than I was and wear gloves.  The oil in these peppers is killer.  I may or may not have ended up doing a dance in the kitchen because of the oil.
 
Mix the rice, corn, pico de gallo, cheese and sour cream together until combined.  You want just enough moisture to make it stick together.

Stuff the peppers, put the tops back on and put them on a very lightly greased baking sheet.

Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes.  Larger peppers will need more time.

Broil for about 10 minutes to get the peppers browned on the outside.  I imagine this could be done over a flame and it'd taste even better.












To serve, I cut them open, put a tiny bit more cheese and sour cream on top of the rice and corn mixture.












I loved these, which really says something, because I'm not a huge pepper fan.  They're slightly spicy from being cooked in the peppers, but it's nothing major.  Just be sure to get all the pepper seeds out or you'll be in for a surprise.

I have an obscene amount of the filling left.  I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do with it, but it's too good to waste.  Also, I saved the rest of the corn and the corn cobs to make a corn soup one of these days when I get unlazy.

One of these days, I'll charge the battery on my good camera and actually make a lightbox so I have better pictures, I swear.

No comments:

Post a Comment